Wednesday, August 10, 2011
SLAKE "War & Peace" @ STORIES 8.10.11!
Sorry this is last minute, but I’ve just returned from an unexpected and brutal journey away from Los Angeles for the last two and a half months—and am getting back down to biz with a reading/party for SLAKE tonight at Stories in Echo Park! Full details below—this is for their brand new kick in the kisser “War & Peace” issue!
Slake at Stories Books
Wednesday, August 10 at 7 p.m.
Stories Books and Café 1716 W. Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90026
Slake returns to its first true love—Echo Park—for a reading at the intimate Stories Books and Cafe in support of our brand-new Issue 3, “War and Peace.” Get a pastry at the cafe and then join us on the back patio with:
• On war’s simple absurdities: National Magazine Award winner and novelist Ben Ehrenreich (The Suitors and the forthcoming Ether)
• On the wrenching, violent loss of true love: Novelist Joseph Mattson (Eat Hell, Empty the Sun), who Slake editor Joe Donnelly once called the hardest-working man in the lit business
• On mothers, knowing, and not knowing: Poet Amy Scattergood, who edits the L.A. Weekly’s food blog, Squid Ink, and cowrote the James Beard Award–winning Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
• On war, the internal following the external: Writer and filmmaker Hank Cherry, a three-time Slake contributor
• On standing against marriage: Poet and artist John Tottenham (The Inertia Variations)
• On the relative merits of a comeback: Comics writer Owen Wiseman (Samurai’s Blood)